Monday, November 3, 2008

I Am No Longer a Blogger...

From "A Change" by Sheryl Crow

I've been thinking 'bout catching a train
Leave my phone machine by the radar range
Hello it's me, I'm not at home
If you'd like to reach me, leave me alone

A change would do you good
A change would do you good


Sorry folks, it's true. I am no longer a blogger. All three of you who have frequented my blog in the past should be notified..

I am now a Bloggadier! That's right.. A Bloggadier!

9_9

Ok, well, in all seriousness.. Who came up with the term Blog? Were there really no other choices? I love doing it, but I hate saying it. I always feel like I should GRUNT loudly when talking about it.

I still remember walking home from High School where one of my friends mentioned casually to me:

Friend- "You know they came up with a new name for the type of music you listen to?"
Me- "Huh? They need ANOTHER freakin way to classify music?"
Friend- "Yeah, I guess they didn't like Modern music because so much of it is in the 80's now!"
Me- "................... You're kidding?"
Friend- "Nope. It's called Alternative Music now.. How cool is that?"
Me- "Alternative?! What is it the alternative to? LAME! I refuse to ever call it that.."

And yet, here I am almost 18 years later calling it that. If someone asks me what type of music I listen to, I can't even keep up with all of the new classifications.

Why do humans feel the need to classify everything to death? We do it with everything!!

With never having any real psychology training, I am sure it has something to do with people's need to identify with things they see in themselves. By calling the music alternative, I wonder if it wasn't just a way to say "We're different! We're small and we're underdogs, but we don't care!"

That tended to be a pretty big theme with a lot of the folks who listened to that type of music. Obviously, not true of everyone (or even most) folks who listened to it, just my little slice of friends that did.

What's worse is people who classify based on prejudice. I heard on the radio that some people actually believe that Barack Obama is going to put all the Christians in concentration camps.

What that says to me is that Obama has been classified as non-christian. Why? Because he's black? Because of his middle name?

Please, people.

I tend to be decently even keeled when it comes to politics. But I have seen some pretty extreme statements from the great unwashed after and about this latest election that makes me sad for my country.

It's sad and ironic that in a country that values freedom above everything else, people are slaves to preconceived notions about entire groups of people. Further, how embarassing that in my country everyone has the right and privelage to be an outspoken bigot or fascist.

Blah.



A wise and wonderful girl confessed to me that she was scared for the future of the United States. Not because of the financial crunch, not because she was concerned about the presidency.. but because she was scared that one day all of the extremist nutjobs (pick your flavor) will be unhappy with the fact that OTHER RACES, CREEDS AND CULTURES of Americans are getting the same rights.

Are people really so selfish and small that it matters? Why would you not want others to have a piece of the greatness that we've got?

I am proud to be an American. But I reserve the right to be proud of some of my fellow Americans. It's 2008, folks. Wake up and smell the world..

No comments: