Thursday, October 2, 2008

Where Do The Children Play?

From "Where Do The Children Play" by Cat Stevens

Well you've cracked the sky, scrapers fill the air.
But will you keep on building higher
'til there's no more room up there?
Will you make us laugh, will you make us cry?
Will you tell us when to live, will you tell us when to die?

Cat Stevens is cool. I mean, really cool. If you haven't ever picked up a Cat Stevens album, I'd strongly recommend Tea for the Tillerman.

My mom was a bit of a hippie, I think (bless her soul) and she owned a ton of Van Morrison, The Doors, Cat Stevens, the Beatles and Jefferson Airplane albums in an old crate. They were a bit banged up, but they were beautiful.

I can't describe the way the slip-cases looked in that crate. Each one like a wall poster of glorious full color art. Lots of folks I know have only ever seen CD's, or even CD's and Tapes with their small square and rectangle cases..

I mention all of this because there was a certain style of art that was prevalent back in 'the day'. Or, if not prevalent, I saw it an awful lot. And let me tell you, O gentle readers, it was damned spooky.

Nightmares-to-this-day level of spooky.

They had soft colors, somewhat rounded edges and just white for eyes. The kids didn't look cute or even normal, they looked like they came from some dark and under-developed corner of my psyche.

"We don't have bones and guts, we've got marshmallows and evil... come play with us.."

Tea For the Tillerman had one of the spoooookiest ones ever.



*shiver*

I remember sitting on the couch peeping over the arm-rest at the crate and seeing this cover. I was so paralyzed by fear I just stared at it, barely breathing and blinking, for maybe three hours. I SWEAR to you that the kids moved a bit, and the crazy tea-dude seemed to be laughing at me.

Scare-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Don't even get me started on Jethro Tull's Aqualung. (( ......... Writing this post makes me feel old. ))

No comments: